Re: st: re: ivreg2: No validity tests if just-identified?

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: ivreg2: No validity tests if just-identified?
Date   Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:10:16 +0200

Hi Kit:

Out of interest, if one could specify how the error terms are handled, then it is possible to test for over-identifying restrictions, correct?

That is:

y = b0 + b1x_hat + e1

x = b11 + b12z + e12

The covariance between e1 and e12 is estimated in ivreg, right? Hence the model is just-identified. Constraining the covariance to be orthogonal would provide for an overidentifying test. However, theoretically, estimating this covariance is necessary to account for the common cause of x and y not included in the model (so it would be an unreasonable restriction to make, unless the model is perfect). Right?

Best,
John.

Prof. John Antonakis
Associate Dean Faculty of Business and Economics
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny
Switzerland