RE: st: AW: simple sum() question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: simple sum() question
Date   Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:13:47 +0100

I was just working from what you wrote, for example:

"I should have mentioned that patients who had three visits, for
instance, have three observations, and those with two visits have two
observations."

So counting observations and counting visits looked like the same
problem to me.

Shehzad Ali

Thanks, Nick. But I am not trying to count the total number of
observations
per patient but the total number of visits (varname: clinic) across all
time points for each patient (I tried to clearly state it in the first
post
- sorry if I wasn't clear).

The solution I am now using is:

bysort patient_id: egen sum_clinic = sum(clinic)