Re: general -adoupdate- issue [was: st: xtabond2 update issue]

Subject   Re: general -adoupdate- issue [was: st: xtabond2 update issue]
Date   Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:45:50 +0200

<>
"now would probably be a good time to mention how much we all appreciate his efforts."

I agree wholeheartedly. I certainly did not submit this "bug" report to assign blame to anyone, just to make sure that this problem does not proliferate as I did remember it had happened to me a couple of months ago already. The response shows that it is indeed a problem for some users, regardless of platform used. My suspicion is that most (80%) ados make their way onto users' ado-paths "on foot", i.e. by downloading and manually putting them there, which goes some way to explain why this bug report does not come up more frequently: Many users simply do not avail themselves of the -adoupdate- convenience...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "William Gould, StataCorp LP" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: general -adoupdate- issue [was: st: xtabond2 update issue]

Michael Hanson <[email protected]> reports,

I am seeing this issue today with -adoupdate-, as both -xtabond2- and
-texdoc- are perpetually listed as needing updates on my computer.
[...]

I have just duplicated the problem with xtabond2 and tracked down the
source.

There is a slight inconsistency between two files at SSC.

The xtabond2 package the server delivers contains a distribution date of
20090331 while the server thinks the distribution date is 20090408.
Thus, -adoupdate- thinks there's a more recent version of -xtabond2-.
-adoupdate- downloads this more recent version, that file has a distribution date of 20090331, -adoupdate- does not notice the inconsistency, and then the
next time -adoupdate- runs, -adoupdate- once again thinks it sees a more
recent version of the file because the server says, I've got one from
20090408 but delivers on dated 20090331.

I assume the same problem is occurring with texdoc, but I did not trace
it down.

I've written to Kit Baum about the problem.

As Kit is about to have to spend time tracking down the problem on his end, now would probably be a good time to mention how much we all appreciate his
efforts.  By the way, Kit, should you decide this is my problem and
not yours, write to me privately.  No reason to air problems in public,
right?

-- Bill