st: AW: Quotes for scalar within local (was efficiently run three loops (or do without them))

Subject   st: AW: Quotes for scalar within local (was efficiently run three loops (or do without them))
Date   Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:34:27 +0200

<>

I think your problem could be solved more succinctly as

sysuse auto, clear
statsby, by(rep78 foreign) clear : sum mpg
list, noobs

On the delayed evaluation thing, note Nick`s
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-06/msg01028.html

HTH
Martin