Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set

From   Christian Bustamante <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to balance an unbalanced panel data set
Date   Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:19:16 -0500

That's solve the problem if the data set has all years for all panels,
but it isn't. The data set is about firm's financial information, thus
the firms that not reported information before 2000 (for example)
doen't have a time period associated to it's id. The same occur with
firms that have information since the begining of panel, but in 2003
there isn't data an then a row with 2003 in the year variable for this
firm and missing in all other values.

I supose that it would be solved creating this "years" with missing
data for all firms that hasn't information in this period, but I don't
know how to do that.

Thanks

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Philipp Rehm <[email protected]> wrote:
> .
> Nick Cox's -dropmiss- may be useful. You may want to check out -findit
> dropmiss-
>
> It seems your panel data-set is in wide format. For most purposes, that's
> very inconvenient, at best. You may want to -reshape- your data-set to long
> format.
>
> HTH,
> Philipp
>
> Christian Bustamante wrote:
>>
>> Hi and thanks for your response. That's not what I'm looking for. I
>> will be more explicit.
>> Supose the folliwing data set with each row represents a panel
>> observations for a variable:
>>
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
>> . . 3 4 5 6 7 8
>> 1 2 3 . 5 6 7 8
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .
>> 1 2 3 4 5 . . .
>>
>> I want to keep only the observations like the first one and drop the
>> others.
>>
>> Bests
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Philipp Rehm <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/panel.html
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Philipp