AW: st: Presenting categorical data

Subject   AW: st: Presenting categorical data
Date   Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:52:12 +0200

<>

Not really. There is a reason for the charge, i.e. to maintain the resources needed to publish the Stata Journal...

Note that after 3 years, the moving wall sees to it that the article is freely downloadable.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Kirimi Sindi
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 1. April 2009 15:47
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: Presenting categorical data

Just wondering if anyone can send to me the second article mentioned by
Maarten.

Speaking Stata: Spineplots and their kin. The Stata Journal 8(1): 105--121.

Kirimi

Maarten buis wrote:
> --- On Wed, 1/4/09, Tim wrote:
>
>> I have a small dataset (n=51 with many missing values).
>> There are about 17 variables, all categorical with 6 to 10
>> categories in each (although some categories can be sensibly
>> combined). I also have a list of 24 comparisons that the
>> researcher would like to look at.
>>
>> It seems to me the only viable approach is to simply
>> display the data in a way that highlights interesting
>> features. True?
>>

> That sounds sensible
>

>> So I would like to know what commands I should be
>> investigating, whether built-in or user-written.
>>

> Nick Cox has writen useful atricles and programs on this
> in the Stata Journal (the 2004 article is available for
> free):
>
> Nicholas J. Cox (2004), Speaking Stata: Graphing categorical
> and compositional data. The Stata Journal 4(2): 190--215.
> http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=gr0004
>
> Nicholas J. Cox (2008) Speaking Stata: Spineplots and their
> kin. The Stata Journal 8(1): 105--121.
> http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=gr0031
>
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten

> Maarten L. Buis
> Institut fuer Soziologie
> Universitaet Tuebingen
> Wilhelmstrasse 36
> 72074 Tuebingen
> Germany
>
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

*******************************
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand,
imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.
*******************************

Kirimi Sindi
PhD Candidate
Department of Agricultural,