st: RE: RE: SSC Archive help files now available in HTML

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: RE: SSC Archive help files now available in HTML
Date   Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:05:12 -0400

<>
Roger said

Thanks to Kit for the info. What we need now (as Maarten says, and in case any StataCorp people are listening) is a way to translate a group of .sthlp files to .html, translating the .smcl hyperrefs to corresponding .html hyperrefs. That would be particularly helpful for people like me, who typically document a large comprehensive package with a whole tree of .sthlp files referring to each other. I do not know how feasible this is.

As -log- is kernel code, not ado-file code, that will be feasible if and only if StataCorp decides to implement it. It is certainly technically feasible, but given the lack of interest in even admitting the existence of -log html- by documenting it, I am not sure how popular this idea might be.

Putting on-line help in HTML form -- including that related to user- written routines -- helps put Stata on more of a level playing field with R, MATLAB and other statistical languages that make such information available in HTML form.

An Introduction to Stata Programming | http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html