st: RE: Re: Fill in panel observations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Fill in panel observations
Date   Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:02:02 +0100

There will be a difference between the results

bys iis: egen total_rater = count(rater)

and

bys iis : gen total_rater = _N

if -rater- is ever missing; but otherwise the latter is more direct and
more efficient.

Incidentally, once you known that data are sorted on -iis-, the second
command can just start -by iis:-.

Martin Weiss

bys iis: g rater=_n
bys iis: egen total_rater=count(rater)