st: scatter with aweight - consistent sizing across subsets of observations

From   Dan Weitzenfeld <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: scatter with aweight - consistent sizing across subsets of observations
Date   Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:22:31 -0700

Hi All,
I am confused as to how exactly Stata determines what will be the
largest and smallest marker size when using -scatter- with aweights.
My goal is to create a series of aweighted scatterplots, each one on a
subset of my data, with the relative marker sizing consistent across
plots.  That is, if a point in my first graph and a point in my second
graph are both weighted 100, I'd like them to be the same size,
regardless of what other points are plotted on each.

My idea for how to do this is to create two fake datapoints, one equal
to the universal minimum and one equal to the universal maximum of the
weights, and to include these fake datapoints in each plot.  Since I
am copying the graphs into PowerPoint and ungrouping them anyway, I
can just delete these two fake points.

Is there any reason this should not work?
Is there a simpler way?

Thanks in advance,
Dan