st: RE: one row for each individual

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: one row for each individual
Date   Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:04:31 -0000

I imagine this could be made to work, but it's a bad idea nevertheless.

As Martin earlier signalled, -reshape- is the natural solution for what
you want.

That said, it's not clear why you want the wide structure or form you
ask for. Your existing long structure is best for most purposes.

Chiara Mussida

Thanks Martin! Ok, but I guess I found the proper way to sort out the
issue:
I have 3 rows for each individual that contain individual
characteristics + L mk info (in which I'm particularly interested)
surveyed yearly in 3 different waves. I guess the most proper way is
to separate my datasate into 3 files - 1 for each year - by obviously
renaming the variables of each year. Then, with a double merge (by my
newID) I will get the final file with 1 row for each subject.