Re: st: binary proportions and sample size

Subject   Re: st: binary proportions and sample size
Date   Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:05:46 -0400

If you want a simple confidence interval, do:

clear
set obs 74
g ok=_n>4
g pw=900/74
g fpc=900
svyset [pw=pw], fpc(fpc)
svy:tab ok, ci

I don't understand this part:
"which is the probability that the problem-rate in the sample and in
the population are different - statistically significantly different"
unless you are looking for some Bayesian solution--the kinds of
probabilities you mention depend on the population proportion.

Or do you mean, what is the probability of rejecting the null of the
true proportion in the population at the 5% level given a sample of
74, in which case the answer is 5% (the size of your test).

Maybe you could rephrase your question...