Re: st: Gene-incidence question/simulation

From   moleps islon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Gene-incidence question/simulation
Date   Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:15:41 +0100

Thanks for the statistical input. I truly appreciate this. However
what I've done instead in order to get an estimate is to run a
simulation whereby I select g random patients in my sample and "give
them" the mutation and then do the usual calculations. From the
regressionline I can then get a (probably statistically dubious)
estimate of the cancerincidence in the face of having the mutation in
the sample given that the people in my sample without the mutation has
an incidence of 6/100000 for also sustaining cancer.

the simulation runs like this in case of curiosity (just generating
the observation-time here)...

set obs 217
gen id=_n
gen time=54*runiform()
gen p=runiform()
sort p
gen cancer=id<12
stset time, id(id) f(cancer==1)
simulate ratemutpos=y ratemutneg=o mutation=v, reps(100000):simulate ins
scatter ratemutpos ratemutneg||lfitci ratemutpos ratemutneg
tab mutation if ratemutneg<7

capture drop program ins
program ins
capture drop y