Re: st: clogit with fixed effects

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clogit with fixed effects
Date   Fri, 20 Mar 2009 23:59:30 -0400 (EDT)

Isabelle--

Please, next time, as the Statalist FAQ request, show exactly what
-xtlogit- command you would like -clogit- to duplicate.

I think you misunderstand the relation of -xtlogit- with the "fe" option
to -clogit-. They are equivalent, as the manual entries make clear. Run
the code below for a demonstration. In fact, the full title of -clogit- is
"Conditional (fixed-effects) logistic regression."  These commands
suppress intercepts for the panels (-xtlogit-) or groups (-clogit-). Since
you give no details , I cannot tell if "individuals" and "countries" are
the group variables you have used in -clogit-.  If you wish to add dummy
variables and estimate the intercepts  explicitly, use ordinary -logit-.

This is a bad idea if you do not have enough observations to estimate the
intercepts with good precision.  Even if you have enough observations, it
is probably still a bad idea.  What are you going to do with the
intercepts?  With hundreds (or thousands) of countries and individuals,
you will get pages of output.  Instead, consider -xtmelogit-, which will
allow you to model random slopes in addition to random intercepts.  Unlike
-clogit- and -xtlogit, fe-, -xtmelogit- followed by -predict- will
estimate useful predicted probabilities, including probabilities for
groups, considered as random effects.

-Steve

webuse union, clear
xtset idcode