Re: AW: st: fractional logit convergence problem

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: fractional logit convergence problem
Date   Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:16:38 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 18/3/09, Jochen Späth wrote:
> > I try to fit a fractional logit model with
> > -glm depvar indepvars, family(binomial) link(logit)
> > scale(x2)-, which uses Quasi-ML for the estimation.
> > My problem now is that the command does not converge.
> > What can I do? Would it help to try alternative
> > optimization> routines? Or change the distributional
> > assumption in -family()-?

I would still start with simplifying your model (i.e. remove covariates). That way you can at least identify which (combination of) variables is causing your problem.

The binomial family and the logit link are usually very well behaved, so I don't think that is where the problem is. One exception would be perfect predictions, i.e. are there some combinations of covariates that produce all zeros or all ones. This causes problems with logistic regression, and I would expect it would also not play well with a fractional logit.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen