RE: st: RE: Brute force

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Brute force
Date   Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:15:15 -0000

Jeph is based in the USA. That may not be evident from his email
address.

I think we agree, w.r.t. Shun's question, is that there isn't a
prescription for applying brute force, any more than there is a
prescription for elegance or simplicity.

Jeph Herrin

This may be a transatlantic distinction, but on this side of the pond,
"brute force" is often both admirable and desirable in all respects
except efficiency. That is, the brute force method may be the best
approach but too costly (in terms of time or resources) to implement.
In analysis, at least; in areas such as diplomacy it indeed lacks
an admirable connotation.