Re: st: IV regression

From   Davide Cantoni <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: IV regression
Date   Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:11:52 -0400

Carlos,

I would just look these things up in an econometrics textbook (e.g.
Stock and Watson, Angrist and Pischke, Wooldridge, in increasing order
of difficulty), not ask the Stata mailing list about this. The latter
would tell you that all you need is a *correlation* between the
endogenous variable and the proposed instrument(s); the correlation
should not be too weak (otherwise you have a weak instruments problem)
and it should not violate the exclusion restriction (otherwise
instrumenting is pointless). Nothing about causality.

Davide