Re: st: Stata output into Word

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata output into Word
Date   Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:03:26 -0500

R Allan Reese ([email protected]) and some others discussed
the language sometimes changing in Microsoft Word when Stata
output is pasted into Word:

> I cut'n'pasted Stata output into Word, highlight the text the change the
> font, and Word decided the default language had become Portuguese.  Does
> this happen generally, or could it be related to Timberlake making the
> UK copies?

First, let me reinforce Nick Cox's statement regarding the
production of Stata.  All the official media for Stata is made by
StataCorp and shipped to distributors and customers.  We do not
use any distributors as part of the production process.

Regarding the issue Allan encountered, Stata does not have
control over the language settings in Microsoft Word.  When you
'Edit--Copy' text from Stata for Windows, it is placed on the
Windows clipboard as plain ASCII text.  Some others have
suggested that Word's Automatic Language Detection feature may be
what is changing the language, and that is what we believe as well.

--Alan
([email protected])