Re: st: RE: regression assumption question

Subject   Re: st: RE: regression assumption question
Date   Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:01:46 -0400

moleps islon:
I tend to agree with Tony <[email protected]>, but
note that if you believe that X affects the change in Y (dY = Ypost -
Ypre) but Y is measured with error pre and post, you may prefer not to
regress Ypost on Ypre and X, but rather to regress dY on X.  Since
Ypre is measured with error, its coef may be biased toward zero and
you may be able to reject the null that its coef is one even when that
is the true model, and you may also have bias in other coefs when you
include Ypre, esp if treatment levels are correlated with true
baseline Y levels.

mat c=(1,0,0,0\ 0,1,0,0.5\ 0,0,1,0\ 0,0.5,0,1)
drawnorm e1 y0 e0 x, n(1000) corr(c) seed(1) clear
g ypost=y0+x/2+e1
g ypre=y0+e0
g dy=ypost-ypre
reg ypost ypre x, nohe r
reg dy x, nohe r

But of course if Ypre does not have a coef of one in the true model,
you will introduce bias by imposing that constraint in a regression of
dY on X.   Nearest-neighbor matching (findit nnmatch) on pre-treatment
observables is another way forward here...