st: RE: Clustered standard errors in -xtreg- with dfadj

Subject   st: RE: Clustered standard errors in -xtreg- with dfadj
Date   Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:06:34 -0000

Lisa,

I can't answer that offhand but it should be clear in the Stata 8
manuals.  Or you can compare Stata 8 and Stata 10 (with -nonest-) output
and see if they're the same.

> Therefore, I have added the option "nonest".
> (xtreg outcome $econ5, i(caseid) vce(cluster fip) nonest fe)
>
> If I additionally add the option "dfadj" then as expected my standard
> errors increase.
> (xtreg outcome $econ5, i(caseid) vce(cluster fip) nonest dfadj fe)
>
> In another post, a few years ago, Mark Schaffer responded as
> follows which was very helpful:
> The problem arises when the panels cut across clusters. Some dof
> adjustment is needed, but what should it be? I don't know,
> and I haven't
> seen any paper that describes exactly what it should be. When writing
> -xtivreg2-, I opted simply for the program to exit with
> error. Official
> -xtivreg- now has the -nonest- and -dfadj- options; these
> didn't exist
> when I wrote -xtivreg2-. You'll see that they allow you to go between
> the extremes of no dof adjustment (which will give you SEs
> that are too
> small) and a full dof adjustment (which will give you
> "conservative" SEs
> that are on the large side).
>
> My question now:  Is there a "partial" adjustment that can be done?

When this first came up a few years ago, I had a brief correspondence
with, I think, David Drukker and Vince Wiggins from StataCorp (I think
it was "and" but it might have been "or").

As I recall, the problem is that your question hasn't been answered in
the theoretical literature, and deriving an answer would be hard.  Maybe
someone has tackled this problem by now, but I haven't seen anything.

The only thing I can suggest is to do a Monte Carlo simulation of your
problem and see what sort of adjustment is needed to make the
cluster-robust VCV estimator behave reasonably.  (Or possibly, as you
suggest, try bootstrapping.)

--Mark

> Alternatively, is there a way to bootstrap the standard
> errors to account for the non-nested county clusters?
>
> Any further advice that you could offer would be much appreciated.
>
> many thanks,
> Lisa
>

> *
> *From*  "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>>
> *To*    <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>>
> *Subject*       RE: st: Clustered standard errors in -xtreg-
> *Date*  Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:55:02 -0000

> Thomas,

registered under charity number SC000278.