st: AW: use Mata to calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix

Subject   st: AW: use Mata to calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix
Date   Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:27:38 +0100

<>

Where do you use -moremata- in your code? And are you sure that you are
passing a column vector to -invvech()-?

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von
[email protected]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 8. März 2009 19:18
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: use Mata to calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix

Dear All

I am tring to use Mata to calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix, but
there is some problems. First, I installed the moremata package by Ben
Jann. Then, when I type:

mata:
M = st_matrix("M")
lambda = J(cols(M), 4, .)
for(t=1; t<=cols(M); t++) {
mt = invvech(M[., t])
lambda[t, .] = symeigenvalues(mt)
}
lambda
end

The output shows:

                invvech():  3498  invalid vech
                  <istmt>:     -  function returned error
--------------------------------
r(3498);

.
. lambda
unrecognized command:  lambda
r(199);

.
. end
unrecognized command:  end
r(199);

if I type:
mata:
M = st_matrix("M")
lambda = J(cols(M), 4, .)
for(t=1; t<=cols(M); t++) {
mt = invvech(M[., t])
lambda[t, .] = symeigenvalues(mt)
}

the output shows:

                invvech():  3498  invalid vech
                  <istmt>:     -  function returned error
r(3498);

Do you know where's the error of my codes?

Thanks!

Jingjing Li
University of Toronto