Re: st: memory problem

From   Alan Neustadtl <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: memory problem
Date   Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:09:08 -0500

I routinely use the GSS including the cumulative file extending from
1972 through 2006.  My file is approximately 282.5 megabytes and like
you I have 2G of memory.  I have needed to increase the maximum number
of variables Stata can access as well as the total memory.  The
following three commands work on my installation:

/* BEGIN CODE */
set maxvar 5200
set mem 300m
use GSS-Cumulative-72-06.dta
/* END CODE    */

As others have suggested you can read in s subset of variables if you
know the variable mnemonic .  The following Stata code provides one
example:

/* Create a subset of GSS Data */
#delimit ;
use year
    cohort
    socbar
    socrel
    socommun
    socfrend
    race
    age
    sex
    educ
    attend
    marital
    childs
    premarsx
    reliten
    childs
    polviews
    sexfreq if race!=3 using GSS-Cumulative-72-06.dta, clear;
#delimit cr
/* END CODE    */

Last point, when I first read in the GSS data from a text file to
Stata I was able to -compress- the file size by changing the data
storage type to the most efficient possible without losing any
precision.  The Stata file provided by ICPSR (if this is where you got
your data) makes no attempt to be efficient.  I think I cut the file
size in half by changing the storage types.

Best,
Alan