st: BRR Bootstrap weights w/xt commands

From   "John Sandberg, Prof." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: BRR Bootstrap weights w/xt commands
Date   Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:23:08 -0500

Hi;

I'm new to bootstrap weighting but have a big problem to solve. I work
w/longitudinal data from Statistics Canada which does not release design
information w/their surveys for confidentiality reasons.  Instead, they
release a series of bootstrap replicate weights  along with the data and
std. errors are calculated, when using STATA at least using the svyset
with balanced repeated replications  such as:

svyset [pweight=weight], brrweight(bsw1-bsw1000) vce(brr)

The svy commands do not work with the xt commands, however. This really
restricts the analyses that can be done with the rich Stats Can. data
available.  My question is as follows. First has anyone faced and
resolved this problem before with STATA?  If not, would it be
technically possible to re-write the the vce(bootstrap)  code in the xt
ado files so that I could substitute the replicates provided by
statisitcs Canada?  Can I write my own weight code w/bsample? Any help
would be greatly appreciated. I believe this is a big reason STATA isn't
used as much as it could be with these data.

Best,
Jack

John Sandberg
Associate Professor