st: Re: replace if and too many literals error

Subject   st: Re: replace if and too many literals error
Date   Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:05:47 +0100

<>

You may want to use the methods in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/selectid.html

-inlist- is probably not a way out for you as it only takes up to 10 string arguments...

What is weird is that when I move the endpoint in my -forvalues- loop to 51, Stata complains for the first time with -error 130-.

*******
clear*
input str20 mystring
thisisonestring
thisisasecondstring
thisisathirdstring
end

local myif "strmatch(mystring,"string_1") "

forv i=2/50{
local myif "`myif' | strmatch(mystring,"string_`i'")"
}

ma di

replace mystring="string_standard" if `myif'
********

The -search r(130)- file then says that "more than 500 dyadic operators" are to blame for the problem. Yet when I look up under -h limits-, the "# of dyadic operators in an expression " is 800 for my version...

HTH
Martin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Hamilton" <[email protected]>