st: AW: dropping digits from variables in Stata 10

Subject   st: AW: dropping digits from variables in Stata 10
Date   Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:11:52 +0100

<>

No need to apologize. See
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/leading0.html

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Ekaterina
Hertog
Gesendet: Montag, 23. Februar 2009 12:03
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: dropping digits from variables in Stata 10

Dear All,
I am rather new to Stata so I apologize in advance if these are rather
silly questions, but I googled around extensively and searched Stata
help and cannot find an adequate solution.
1) I have got a variable consisting of 7 digit zipcodes. I want to
create a second variable which will only  consist of the first 3 digits
of each zip-code and I cannot find a way to do it.
2) Some of the zipcodes start with 00, e.g 0037845 and Stata drops the
front 00 turning such zipcodes into 5-digit numbers (e.g. 37845). I need
to make Stata understand that these 00 are meaningful and return them
back into the zipcodes and I cannot find how to do this. They were
present in my original csv file, but when I converted it into a Stata
file using Stattransfer they were gone.
I will be most grateful for any help or advice,
Sincerely yours,
Ekaterina

--
Ekaterina Hertog (née Korobtseva)