RE: st: RE: Estimation of differences of logistic regression models in three groups

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Estimation of differences of logistic regression models in three groups
Date   Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:24:53 +0900

If you type:

testparm _IlapXtim_1_2 _IlapXtim_1_3

you will get a Wald's test of the interaction terms.  This is a overall test of the three period effects.

Alternately, you could fit
xi: logistic komplik i.lapscopi i.period
est store A
xi: logistic komplik i.lapscopi*i.period
lrtest A

which will give you a likelihood ratio test of the same thing.

Note, you are not testing for trend here.  The null hypothesis is no difference in the complication rate in the three periods.

If you are looking for trend, you could try:

xi: logistic komplik period i.lapscopi
est store A
xi: logistic komplik period*i.lapscopi
lrtest A

The effect of period is now the risk of complications associated with a one-unit change in period.
In the second model, the period effect is the trend for open appendectomy and the period + period*lapcopi effect will be the trend for laparoscopy.

Note also, I don't know how you have coded period. If the three periods are equal time intervals, then the model above will be OK.  But if the three periods are not equal time periods, then you will need to recode the levels of period to reflect this.

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House
48 Murray St
Perth 6000
Phone: (08) 9224-2140
Fax: (08) 9224 8009
email: [email protected]
http://myprofile.cos.com/mccaul
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8751-2008
The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.