Re: st: DiD with panel data

Subject   Re: st: DiD with panel data
Date   Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:28:12 -0500

Fiorenzo Bovenzi <[email protected]>:
It all depends on what you have in mind as a D-in-D model. In something like
 egen id=group(id_var country)
 xtreg Yist Dist, i(id) fe
the coef on Dist compares pre-treatment values to post-treatment
values within firm-country pairs; firm outcomes in countries that
never have Dist=1 contribute nothing to the estimate, but I think you
want to use a firm's outcomes in such a country as a control for the
same firm's outcomes in a country that does have Dist==1 at some
point.  It's not clear to me whether you want to have firm FE and
country dummies interacted with Dist.  Perhaps this would all be clear
if you could be a bit more specific about the research design...

You may just want
 xtset id_var
 xtreg Yist Dist, fe
or
 xtset id_var
 tab country, gen(_c)
 drop _c1
 xtreg Yist Dist _c*, fe
but you need to be clear about what comparison you are trying to draw.