Re: st: event history analysis with years clustered in individuals

Subject   Re: st: event history analysis with years clustered in individuals
Date   Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:38:08 -0500

Hilde Karlsen <[email protected]>:
Attrition from nursing sounds like a survival model, probably in
discrete time, using -logit- or -cloglog- with time dummies, not
-xtmelogit- (see
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/iser/teaching/module-ec968 for a textbook
and self-guided course on discrete time survival models).  If you have
T years of data on each individual, all of whom are first-year nurses
in period 1, and some of whom quit nursing in each of the subsequent
years, with a variable nurse==1 when a nurse (and zero otherwise), an
individual identifier id, a year variable year, and a bunch of
explanatory variables x*, you can just:

tsset id year
bys id (year): g quit=(l.nurse==1 & nurse==0)
by id: replace quit=. if l.quit==1 | (mi(l.quit)&_n>1)
tab year, gen(_t)
drop _t1
logit quit _t* x*

and then work up to more complicated models with heterogeneous
frailty, etc. The main issues are that someone who quit nursing last
year cannot quit nursing again this year, and people who never quit
nursing might at some future point that you don't observe, which is
why you use survival models...

If you know the day they started work and the day they quit, you might
prefer a continuous-time model (help st).

I've been assuming you had data on people working as nurses, but
rereading your email, maybe you have data on breastfeeding mothers,
though I suppose the same considerations apply (though with multiple
years of data on breastfeeding mothers, there is probably no
censoring).