st: re: a graph named "new"

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: a graph named "new"
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:11:12 -0500

<>
Is this like "a boy named "Sue"?

Eva said
This is a very minor issue, but anyway: How come I cannot name a graph "new"? In Stata 9.2, or an up-to-date Stata 10.1, the following produces an error: sysuse auto scatter price mpg, name(new) The error message is "new invalid member variable identifier" r(198). This does not depend on the data in memory, or the graph command used. Note that "ne", "neww", "New" and other variations work just fine. I can create variables, programs, and locals with the name "new", just not graphs. I couldn't find anything in the archives, or the manuals, but maybe I overread something.

I imagine that -help class- will convince you that new is a reserved word in the class system (even if it is not explicitly declared as such). You can't define a class named 'new' either. Perhaps just localize the object to 'neu'? The class system sprech kein Deutsch.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html