Re: st: Problem with -metareg-

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "Tiago V. Pereira" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Problem with -metareg-
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:03:04 +0000

Dear Tiago,
Hard to tell what the cause of the convergence problem is as clearly i
can't replicate it without the original dataset. The different
behaviour when you re-input the data may be more likely to be due to
the tiny differences between the original stored values and the result
of re-inputting them to 6 or 7 significant figures than the presence
or abscence of additional variables. If you want to email me the
original dataset (to [email protected]) i'll investigate
further. Switching to the -mm- option (method-of-moments estimate of
between study variance) instead of the -reml- option (residual maximum
likelihood) should avoid the numerical problems and give the same
answer in this instance where the estimated between-study variance is
zero.

--
Roger Harbord
http://www.epi.bris.ac.uk/staff/rharbord.htm