st: Bivaraite versus univariate definition

From   Anon Mouse <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Bivaraite versus univariate definition
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:39:21 -0800

Line for server

Thank you in advance.

I have a very basic statistics question.  I have just started using stata, so thank you for your help.

My question concerns the definition of bivariate versus univariate.

When is one analysis considered bivariate, and when is another considered univariate?

I have seen univariate describe tests involving 1 predictor and 1 output variable, but aI have also seen them described as basically descriptive statistics.

I have seen bivaraite used to describe Chi2 tests.

So what would I call logistic regression analysis involving only one predictor variable, e.g. high mpg (see example below)?  Univariate, or bivariate analysis?

What would I call Chi2 test?  Univariate, or bivariate analysis?

Thank you!

***BEGIN EXAMPLE

sysuse auto

generate highmpg=1 if mpg>=20
replace highmpg=0 if mpg
How fun is this? IMing with Windows Live Messenger just got better.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/products/messenger.aspx