AW: st: tobit and xi (xi3): standard errors

From   Jochen Späth <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: tobit and xi (xi3): standard errors
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:36:48 +0100

Hello Martin and Maarten,

thank you both very much, I will go on with the -xi- instead of -xi3-. However, it may be good thing to not that the -refgroup- command designed for the use with -xi3- also works with -xi-.

Jochen

---------------
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Maarten buis
Gesendet: Dienstag, 10. Februar 2009 12:28
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: tobit and xi (xi3): standard errors

--- On Tue, 10/2/09, Jochen Späth <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just realized Stata's -tobit- command with the -xi-
> (-xi3-) prefix does not allow for clustered standard errors,
> but only for -bootstrap-ping them, although the -tobit-
> command itself does allow for -vce(cluster clustvar)-. Does
> anyone know about this problem (and a possible workaround)?
> Maybe ist just an installation issue... -Bootstrap-ing the
> standard errors is in my case too time-consuming,
> unfortunately.

The reason for the error seems to be that -xi3- runs the commands as
version 7 commands, and in version 7 the -vce()- option did not exist.
Anyhow the -xi3- prefix is just a convenience command (a very convenient
convenience command, but a convenience command nontheless), so if it
doesn't do what you want you can always make the variables yourself.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam