st: RE: RE: interpretting log transformed co-efficients

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: interpretting log transformed co-efficients
Date   Mon, 9 Feb 2009 08:36:24 -0800

While the unbiased transform of the log mean is certainly appropriate (
to get unbiased estimates of the mean), one could also transform the
predicted values.  In this case, the percentiles will transform exactly.
In my dotage, I am finding I like to look at percentiles more and more -
especially with skewed data.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Newson, Roger
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 3:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: interpretting log transformed co-efficients

If you are regressing a log-transformed outcome on one or more
X-variates using -regerss-, then you should probably use the -eform-
option. This implies that the coefficients displayed are geometric
means, or geometric mean ratios, or geometric mean per-unit ratios
(assuming an exponential relationship between the original untransformed
Y-variable and the X-variable. For instance, if the X-variable is female
gender, and the untransformed Y-variable is length of stay, then the
coefficient for female gender is the geometric mean ratio between length
of stay in females and length of stay in otherwise equivalent males.

This principle is explained in a Stata Tip in the Stata Journal (Newson,
2003). If you want the exponentiated intercept (equal in your case to
the geometric mean length of stay im males), then it is a good idea to
use the -noconst- option, and to define a second X-variate containing
values all equal to 1, whose coefficient is the exponentiated intercept.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Newson R. Stata tip 1: The eform() option of regress. The Stata Journal
2003; 3(4): 445.
Download from
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0054

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil