Re: st: time efficient way to choose variables

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: time efficient way to choose variables
Date   Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:27:03 -0500

A google search on "austin tu bootstrap stepwise" turned up this:

Austin, P. and Tu, J. (2004). Bootstrap methods for developing predictive models, The American Statistician, 58, 131–137.

-Steve
On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Hardy, Dale S wrote:

Tony,

Can you send me the reference to this paper.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lachenbruch,
Peter
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:53 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: time efficient way to choose variables

The lasso and LARS methods are also possible for this purpose.  Stata
has a LARS ado written by Adrian Mander - it also does the lasso.

A recent paper (2004) by Austin and Tu discusses using bootstrapping in
conjunction with stepwise regression - they sense of their article is
that the variables selected gives a hint at the frequency of the
selection distribution.

An interesting variant is to combine this with missing values...

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University