st: Individual IDs with non-numeric characters

From   Benson Limann <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Individual IDs with non-numeric characters
Date   Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:58:59 -0700

Dear all:

The individual IDs in my dataset are in the string format. I currently use -destring- to make them numeric. But, unfortunately, some individual IDs have non-numeric characters. As a result, -destring- with the -force- option deletes all these individuals automatically.

Given that I want to sort all the observations, is it possible to keep these individuals with non-numeric IDs?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated,
Ben
Hotmail® goes where you go. On a PC, on the Web, on your phone.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/versatility.aspx#mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_WL_HM_versatility_121208