Re: st: AW: Question about "testparm"

Subject   Re: st: AW: Question about "testparm"
Date   Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:46:48 +0100

"Then, you would need to run your -testparm- 3 separate times: one for
Var1/Var2, another for Var1/Var3, and a third for Var2/Var3."

See my code segment in my earlier code:

*************
webuse highschool, clear
svy: regress weight height state county school
test he=sch
test he=state,accum
test scho=state,accum
*************

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Constantine Daskalakis" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: st: AW: Question about "testparm"

There is no redundancy here.

What you asked Stata for was a "global" test

H0: Var1 = Var2 = Var3
HA: any difference

In other words, is any of these 3 coefficients different from any one else. Hence, a global test w/ 2 df.

I think you are looking for the pairwise tests, ie, 3 tests

H0: Var1=Var2
HA: Var1 NOT= Var2

H0: Var1=Var3
HA: not

H0: Var2=Var3
HA: not

Then, you would need to run your -testparm- 3 separate times: one for Var1/Var2, another for Var1/Var3, and a third for Var2/Var3.

*** Comment:
If these are 3 dummy variables for a 4-level nominal variable, why are you doing this test?

1. Are you interested in whether these 3 levels are the same and different from the baseline? If so, a global test of var1=var2=var3 (and if significant, followed by the 3 pairwise ones) would seem to be reasonable.

2. If you are interested in whether the nominal variable as a whole is significant, then this is NOT the right test. You should be testing the global

H0: Var1=Var2=Var3=0
HA: not

In other words, a 3 df test of

H0: Var1=0 & Var2=0 & Var3=0