Re: st: estout matrix - super column names

From   Ben Jann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: estout matrix - super column names
Date   Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:23:14 +0100

Matrix mode in -estout- is limited. One approach, however, would be to
use a different layout for the matrix so that the groups are different
row equations, and then use -unstack- in -estout-. Example:

. mat A = (1, 2) \ (3, 4)

. mat coln A = 1979 2007

. mat rown A = male:mystat female:mystat

. estout matrix(A), unstack

                     male                    female
                     1979         2007         1979         2007
mystat                  1            2            3            4

A more flexible approach is to post the contents of the matrix into
several "estimation sets" and then use -estout- in normal, non-matrix
mode. Example (Stata 9 or newer required):

. mat A = (1,2,3,4)

. mat coln A = male:1979 male:2007 female:1979 female:2007

. mat rown A = mystat

. mat tmp = A[1...,"male:"]'

. ereturn post

. estadd matrix A = tmp

added matrix:
                  e(A) :  2 x 1

. eststo male

. mat tmp = A[1...,"female:"]'

. ereturn post

. estadd matrix A = tmp

added matrix:
                  e(A) :  2 x 1

. eststo female

. estout male female, cell((A["1979"] A["2007"]))

                     male                    female
                     1979         2007         1979         2007
mystat                  1            2            3            4

Note that the results are transposed for posting them (apostrophe at
the end of the definition of matrix tmp). Without transposing, the
syntax would be:

. mat tmp = A[1...,"male:"]

. ereturn post

. estadd matrix A = tmp

added matrix:
                  e(A) :  1 x 2

. eststo male

. mat tmp = A[1...,"female:"]

. ereturn post

. estadd matrix A = tmp

added matrix:
                  e(A) :  1 x 2

. eststo female

. estout male female, cell((A["1979"](transpose) A["2007"](transpose)))

                     male                    female
                     1979         2007         1979         2007
mystat                  1            2            3            4

Furthermore, note that -ereturn post- is required even though it does
not post anything.

ben