RE: st: Wilcoxon Matched-Pairs Signed-ranks Test also for groups?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Wilcoxon Matched-Pairs Signed-ranks Test also for groups?
Date   Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:58:37 -0000

If you wanted a confidence interval for the median difference between the 2 groups, then you can use the -cendif- module of the -somersd- package (which you can download from SSC(, with a cluster() option.

The -somersd- package comes with 3 .pdf manuals, which you can copy to your system during installation. Example 3.2 in cendif.pdf is similar to your example. There are 2 median differences to choose from, namely the pairwise median difference (the median pairwise difference between the 2 matched member of a pair) and the group median difference (ie the median difference between the Group A member of one randomly-chosen pair and the Group B member of another randomy-chosen pair). The first of these is estimated using the option -funtype(wclust)-, and usually has a wider confidence interval. The second of these is estimated using the option -funtype(vonmises)-, and usually has a narrower confidence interval.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil