st: re: Stata's ml sticks

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: Stata's ml sticks
Date   Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:20:11 -0500

<>
Nick said

I enjoy the odd game of knocking DOS but I think Kit is confusing two
distinct things here.

1. Lengths of global and local macro names.

2. Lengths of filenames. That clearly had implications for command names
defined by .ados.

Well, it may be that the change in the length of local and global macro names really was not a function of abandoning 8.3 filenames, but -help whatsnew6to7- says

   Long (32-character) names

Stata now allows names to be up to 32 characters long. That includes variable names, label names, macro names, and any other name you can think of. This includes program names, and we have renamed a few existing Stata programs:

so the change in macro length came at the same time as the change in variable names and program names. Correlation is not causation, but the abandonment of DOS -- which enforced 8.3 filenames -- happened at the same time (Stata 7.0, 2000) as the change in macro name lengths.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html