RE: st: subpop question

From   Carissa Moffat Miller <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: subpop question
Date   Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:35:47 -0800

Thank you Richard and Stas for your responses and assistance. It is an
especially welcomed response when it is what you hoped to hear.

In
response to a couple of the questions below: My population of interest
is those 55 and older. I broke them into so many age categories because
I'm looking for the differences at the different points in age past 55.
When I run this using age as a continuous variable I am just able to
illustrate a continual decrease in the dependent variable (which has
already been well documented). It's been an important finding that for
different variations of this dependent variable (courses taken for work
or personal reasons) that the lack of significant differences can be
illustrated between different ages and the reference group (55-59 year
olds).  Your point is well taken about the cleaner use of self-created
dummy variables.

I am certainly open to other suggestions and
immensely appreciate all the advice I have received throughout my
dissertation from this listserv.

Carissa