st: AW: minor bug in -lookfor-?

Subject   st: AW: minor bug in -lookfor-?
Date   Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:48:25 +0100

<>

This does not strike me as a bug. -help lookfor- clearly says there are no
options. -lookfor- accepts strings, i.e. uninterrupted sequences of
characters. The comma becomes part of whatever string it is attached to. So
I do find it weird that both versions produce the same output for you. Try

********
sysuse auto, clear
lookfor turn mpg
lookfor turn, mpg
********

which produces different results.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Jeph Herrin
Gesendet: Montag, 26. Januar 2009 22:39
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: minor bug in -lookfor-?

For what it's worth, I was surprised to discover that

  lookfor myvar, fullnames

produces the same result as

  lookfor myvar fullnames

That is, if you add any options to -lookfor-, it ignores the
comma and treats the options as search strings.

On the one hand, the documentation clearly indicates there
are no options. On the other, it often happens that I try
options that I think might work and expect Stata complain
if they are invalid.

In this case, I abbreviated -fullnames- to -fu-, and was finding
variables that in no way matched -myvar-. Took me a while to
puzzle out.