Re: st: RE: RE: The Future of Statistical Computing

From   Diego Navarro <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: The Future of Statistical Computing
Date   Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:30:57 -0200

The fidelity of users to Stata indeed mirrors that of Apple. The thing that always puts me off about R is that it doesn't really seem to be oriented around datasets -- rather, it comes across as a matrix programming language with a Common Lisp-like object system. Most of the graduate-level courses I took followed matrix-oriented econometric theory manuals and were actually accompanied by R practical exercises -- which was immensely useful (I cherish the nights spent trying out variations of bootstrapping algorithms) as a learning device -- but when I stepped out into the "real world", time constraints first dictated that I used the house standard (eViews) until I came across Stata. Now, Stata's language is exceedingly ad hoc, and it could withstand, with little actual changes in current syntax, several rounds of formalization until a formal calculus of Stata predicates could be constructed. The main reason for Matlab (and R) being the dominant languages for scientific computing, I feel, is that scientists are used to formulate their problems around matrix representations in order to prove theorems about them. The success of Stata is witness to the real-world need of "xBase/Clipper"-like constructs, but statisticians (specially econometricians) need to be able to prove theorems in a formal system including all such constructs. Mata is pragmatically necessary right now, but it's a bit of a step down from Stata's strengths.

Sorry if this comes across as a sequence of nonsequiturs. I don't have much time to write right now, so I might have erred on the side of concision.

--
Diego Navarro
(21) 2559-5620

“The first step is to measure what can be easily measured. This is okay as far as it goes. The second step is to disregard that which cannot be measured, or give it an arbitrary quantitative value. This is artificial and misleading. The third step is to presume that what cannot be measured really is not very important. This is blindness. The fourth step is to say that what cannot be measured does not really exist. This is suicide.” (Daniel Yankelovich, 1973)