st: RE: The Future of Statistical Computing ( statalist-digest V4 #3314 )

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: The Future of Statistical Computing ( statalist-digest V4 #3314 )
Date   Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:59:20 -0000

Interesting and stimulating.  As with all generalizations, the opinions
of outsiders differ from the view within.  I've never seen Stata as
dominated by economists.  The argument ALWAYS thrown at me in favour of
R is that it's FREE - apart from your time to search out the best
packages, check incompatibilities, run tests, etc.

I'm amused by Fig 6.  "SAS is sui generis" - but only dominates the axis
of size!

I was disappointed by the discussion of data quality.  "Data are given."
Brief discussion of data structures and outlier detection, but nothing
on *quality assurance* to try to reduce errors introduced when data are
captured.  Most of the interesting data is not captured automatically
("remote and local sensor data").  Current letters in the press about
the quality of transcription of the UK 1911 census online illustrate
that it's very often the case that error rates are higher in large
volumes of data, because the cost of data entry has been squeezed.  We
may end up doing ever more computing on ever lousier data, curiously
echoing the tendency of software to grow and bloat so as to negate any
increase in hardware speed as seen by the end user.

Allan

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.