Re: st: Partial Correlation Kendall's Tau (or Somers D)

Subject   Re: st: Partial Correlation Kendall's Tau (or Somers D)
Date   Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:08:34 -0600

Hmm. Interesting. Well rank-based non-parametrics is not my strength,
so I cannot really comment much on the results of -somersd-.

-bootstrap- won't be better, and it is actually quite difficult with
the survey data to bootstrap them properly. I've been tried to hammer
that into Stata users heads at the last couple of meetings, but you
must have skipped my presentations :)). I'd be still be more inclined
to stick to the jackknife, so you will need something like

program define partial_tau, eclass properties( svyj )
    * run the three somersd commands
    * to get temp scalars `tau_xy', etc.
    * put them together to say
    tempname ptau
    mat `ptau' = (`tau_xy' -
`tau_xz'*`tau_yz')/sqrt((1-`tau_xz'^2)*(1-`tau_yz'^2))
    ereturn post `ptau'
end

I am not entirely sure this will work. If it does not, ask Jeff
Pitblado  for some help, he would know all the guts of -svy jackknife-
processing.

If the covariance matrix is singular, the general theory would
probably suggest taking higher order expansions. And that you
certainly don't want to do. However my asymptotic intuition says here
that a degenerate covariance matrix of the taus does not necessarily
imply that you will have problems with the variance of the result.