st: Expanding single observation data to create unbalanced panel data set-up

From   Geoffrey Wallace <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Expanding single observation data to create unbalanced panel data set-up
Date   Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:04:50 -0500

I have a civil war data set that contains a single observation for each war, including start year, end year, and other conflict-level variables for all wars that were ongoing or began between 1988 and 2004. My objective is to expand this data set into a panel format with separate annual observations for both the war and post-war periods, while all years before the war started are excluded. So for a war lasting 1990-1992, this means there would be no observations for 1988-1989, but then observations for the war years 1990-1992 as well as postwar years 1993-2004.

A complicating factor is that some countries experience several separate wars during this period, each of which has a unique id. I want to make sure I don’t create duplicate observations for those cases, but rather have a simple indicator variable with “1” when a country is experiencing war and “0” for the post-war period.

My question is whether anyone can suggest a relatively efficient way for producing such a data set.

I’ve thought of manually going through the data and including a variable indicating the number of years for the relevant war and post-war period, then using the –expand– command to create the larger data set, and then somehow reformatting it afterward for indicate each relevant year for the war and post-war periods. However, I was wondering if there was a more straightforward way to do this.

Thanks for your consideration.

Geoff

-
Geoffrey Wallace