Re: st: Help with predicting medians using quantile regression

From   Ángel Rodríguez Laso <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Help with predicting medians using quantile regression
Date   Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:07:14 +0100

Hello;

> First off, am I correct to assume that the 95% confidence intervals
> should overlap if the predicted medians are not significantly different?
> Or can a non-significant variable have 95% confidence intervals that
> don't overlap (i.e. even though gender was not significant, the 95% confidence intervals can still NOT overlap)?

With means, if confidence intervals do not overlap, you can be sure
that predicted means are significantly different, but confidence
intervals can overlap and predicted means still be significantly
different.

I have no experience with quantile regression, but in standard
regression formulas for the standard errors of beta coefficients (from
where one establishes that the effect of the variable is significant
or not) and standard errrors of the predicted means are not the same,
so it comes as no surprise that the confidence interval of the beta
coefficient includes 0 (the coefficient is non-significant) but the
confidence intervals of the predicted means do not overlap. You could
check standard errors formulas in quantile regression.

Best regards,

Angel Rodriguez-Laso