st: mfx with ivprobit and ordinal variable

From   John L Worrall <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: mfx with ivprobit and ordinal variable
Date   Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:44:51 -0600 (CST)

I searched the archive to no avail, so here goes. I am using ivprobit.
My endogenous variable of interest is ordinal (it’s called “custcode”
and ranges from 1-5). I’m interested in obtaining predicted
probabilities for each of its values. From what I can gather, the best
approach is “mfx, predict(p) at(custcode=1) nose,” “mfx, predict(p)
at(custcode=2) nose,” etc. If this is right, can someone please advise
on exactly how to interpret the reported dy/dx value? Say custcode is
set to 3 and the resulting dy/dx is .06. The .06 would mean what
exactly? As I understand it, the number at the top of the output is the
probability of a positive outcome when all variables are set at their
mean, but how exactly is the dy/dx value for custcode distinguished
from that?

Thanks, John W.

John L. Worrall
Professor of Criminology