st: RE: Re: categorical variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: categorical variables
Date   Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:36:37 -0000

That is correct. However, note also that Stata treats predictors as
categorical in -anova- unless you specify otherwise. Using -xi:- as
framework is perhaps the most common way to specify categorical
predictors.

Kit Baum

(3) Stata has no concept of 'categorical variables'. Numeric variables
may be stored as various integer data types, which would correspond to
categorical variables, as well as various real data types. As other
posters have suggested, using something like -codebook- or -inspect-
may be helpful. Also note that missing values are the largest positive
numbers, so beware of statements like 'if response > 4', as that will
include observations with a missing response.