Rephrase of earlier post: how might one calculate such things as cross-product matrices without storing Xs as matrices?

From   Jake <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Rephrase of earlier post: how might one calculate such things as cross-product matrices without storing Xs as matrices?
Date   Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:24:46 -0800 (PST)

In a previous post, I had asked how matrix accum works.  Nick Cox replied that it was a very clever algorithm proprietary to Stata.  Stata's awesome :)

Maybe I should rephrase my question.  How might one go about calculating such things as cross-product matrices without swamping memory by storing entire lists of independent variables as matrices?

Thank you,

Jacob Felson