RE: st: RE: saving local macros

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: saving local macros
Date   Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:04:01 -0800

Ashim,

Let's take this off the list then. David was implying that it
was your for-profit actions that was causing the problem.

It's not. It's your habit of not asking the real question from
the beginning, and then go on to question other people's motive.

That's always bad.

Roy

> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 05:13:14 +0530
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: RE: saving local macros
>
> Hello Roy,
>
> I thought this thread was behind me, but now I think I should speak.
> Tell me something, if you have a Stata Question in your head, simple
> question, do you go into the ENTIRE HISTORY of how that question is
> born and tell the WHOLE STORY FROM THE beginning or do you only ask
> your QUESTION.
>
> I think my stata question is how do i save my macros. I need it ALL
> the time. ALL the time. I have thought about it since 6 months ago
> since when i was introduced to stata.
>
> On the issue that I was "hiding " , what is your profession mate ? How
> do you know I like your profession ? Do you tell me your profession
> and let me decide that I like you before you post your question so I
> can make that choice?
>
> I come here to discuss stata, and only stata. If certain professions
> are frowned upon I should have been told this before I even BOUGHT
> stata. That's fair right ?? Right ?
>
> And was I hiding ? In my conversations with some people on this list I
> told them EXACTLY what I did, that is how David Elliot knew I worked
> for the stock market. I had no intention of hiding that. Man this
> email was really offensive, sorry sir I did not like this email.
>
> Ashim.
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Roy Wada wrote:
>>>
>>> The fact that Ashim has proprietary code upstream of the section of
>>> interest is an absolute red herring, in my opinion.... Because Ashim
>>> works in a for-profit environment are his requests for help somehow
>>> tainted?.... In each case, however, we are all working with Stata
>>> for some form of personal gain, we are working for someone, even if
>>> that someone is effectively ourselves. I can't see how that concept
>>> is offensive.
>>
>> The argument that for-profit activity should be treated in the same
>> manner as non-profit is weak. People who volunteer for their church
>> would not give away their time to a Wall Street firm. The idea that
>> the two activites are the same would be offensive to a great many
>> people.
>>
>> The product of academia will reach the public domain, eventually.
>> The failure to do so will get punished (publish or perish!). A
>> proprietary code will not. It's the otherway around. Yes, the
>> researchers get paid for their time, but the product of their
>> labor (research papers) will be distributed at little or no charge.
>>
>> That's non-profit for you.
>>
>> The basic notion behind non-profit is to provide product/serives that
>> cannot be efficiently provided by the market. Hence little or no price.
>> If the actual cost could be charged, then it would be an efficient
>> market and wouldn't provided by a non-profit.
>>
>> The real red-herring here is the claim that Ashim is being blamed for
>> his "tainted" activity.

> [...]
Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009