st: RE: IV testing with ivreg2

Subject   st: RE: IV testing with ivreg2
Date   Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:46:15 -0000

Not sure why this didn't get through the first time, so I'm trying
again....

-----Original Message-----
From: Schaffer, Mark E
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:49 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: IV testing with ivreg2

Johanna,

This suggests you can reject the null that the LIML estimates are biased
by weak instruments (at your chosen level of bias/significance).  Good
news for you.

> What about the significant
> Anderson-
> Rubin stat? Doesn't that improve the situation and could at
> least say
> that I am at the edge of having a weak IV?

Not exactly.  The A-R approach is different from the traditional IV/LIML
point estimation approach.  If you want to go down the A-R route with 2
endogenous regressors, you're looking at constructing a confidence area
for the coefficients (not interval, area, because 2 coefficients are
involved).  Can be done with a grid search but kind of laborious.  See
Dufour (2003) in the ivreg2 help file.

Cheers,
Mark